Every year, millions of people are treated in emergency rooms for injuries sustained in slips, trips, and falls, with one in five of these accidents resulting in a head injury, traumatic brain injury, spinal damage, broken bone, or other serious injury. Tragically, more than 17,000 lose their lives in these mostly preventable accidents each year – the second leading cause of accidental death in the U.S. Be aware of the seven most common hazards that can result in slip and fall injuries so you can take steps to protect yourself. Share with those you care about so they can stay safe, too.
1. Uneven Walking Surfaces – Broken sidewalks, cracks, tree roots, missing sidewalks, warped flooring, mangled parking lots, pot holes, and slopes
2. Wet/Slippery Surfaces – Snow, slush, rain, ice, mud, grease and oil spills, food spills, and polished or waxed flooring
3. Negligent or Poor Maintenance – Broken stairs or flooring, holes, missing tiles, bricks, and flooring materials
4. Inadequate Lighting – Missing or poor lighting in staircases, basements, hallways, and construction areas, and at ramps, loading docks, and other areas; Poor access to light switches
5. Dangerous or Hazardous Conditions – Loose area rugs and carpeting, errant power cords and cables, uneven traction across walking surface, uneven floor transitions, opened cabinet doors and drawers, damaged ladder rungs, unprotected metal surfaces, slippery shower stalls, missing/inadequate warning signs, and strings or ropes across walking areas
6. Lack of Handrails or Safety Features – Missing anti-skid protection or traction materials, guardrails, and uneven or unusually spaced treads
7. Debris – Gravel, leaves, garbage, twigs, loose dirt, pine needles, dust, powder, clutter, obstacles and contaminants
Did An Unsafe Property Condition Cause Your Injury?
If an unsafe condition existed that a property owner was aware of (or should have known about), yet failed to provide an adequate warning to you, and that unsafe condition caused you to fall and become seriously injured, you may be eligible to secure significant financial compensation. You may be able to recover for financial damages including your past and future medical expenses and lost wages and earning capacity, as well as pain, suffering, and other losses depending on the specific circumstances surrounding the accident. At Angotti & Straface Attorneys at Law, we provide personalized legal representation for the seriously injured throughout all of West Virginia. Our legal team can help determine if you were exposed to a property condition that caused your injuries.
What Should I Do If Injured In a Fall?
Although you are responsible for being aware of your surroundings and taking note of open and obvious hazards so that you can avoid them, this does not mean that property owners are allowed to disregard your safety. If you have been seriously injured in a fall as a result of someone else’s negligence, seek medical assistance immediately, document the conditions present by taking photos before the situation is corrected, report the accident and your injuries to the property owner (for injuries on public and commercial property), and be sure to collect the names and contact information of any witnesses. Contact Angotti & Straface Attorneys at Law as soon as possible so that the dangerous condition can be formally documented and experts can be called in to help build your case.
Justice for Fall Victims
Slip and fall cases can be challenging even under the best circumstances. Many attorneys refuse to accept slip and fall cases for this reason alone; however, Angotti & Straface Attorneys at Law is not intimidated by any case, regardless of the level of difficulty. If you have been seriously injured, or have lost a loved one, as a result of a property owner’s clear failure to properly care for, design, or maintain his property, and the degree of negligence involves legal liability, we will fight to get justice for you.
Find out if you are eligible to file a claim for financial compensation for your injuries today. Contact Angotti & Straface Attorneys at Law in Morgantown. If you are too injured to come to us, we will come to you. Call for your free initial consultation: (304) 292-4381.